The key to maintaining energy levels throughout the day is stabilizing blood sugar! That means avoiding foods/drinks that will spike blood sugar levels such as refined/processed foods like white flour and white sugar. When we're eating carbohydrates it's important to pair them with protein and healthy fats so that the rate at which our body absorbs the sugars is slowed down. That way we avoid a massive surge and ultimately avoid a massive crash a few hours later.
Here are a few other reasons it's important to snack 2-3 times throughout the day: 1. help control your appetite 2. curb cravings and 3. prevent you from overeating at meals 4. maintain focus/concentration. Please don't eat by the clock, instead, listen to your body and eat when you feel hungry.
Here are 5 of my favourite energizing snack ideas:
- Apple slices and nut butter is something I will never tire of! I love organic honey crisp apples with either crunchy almond butter or cashew butter! Optional: dust your apples with a little cinnamon - it's fantastic for stabilizing blood sugar levels.
- 4-5 Mary's Crackers topped with mashed avocado, sea salt, pepper & sprinkled with hemp hearts - Mmmm - soooo good!
- Keeping with the avocado for a moment: 1/2 an avocado (pit removed) sprinkled with sea salt, pepper and topped w/ raw sunflower seeds - grab a spoon and away you go!
- 1 Banana, sliced (about an inch thick). Take two slices, spread a thick layer of nut butter on one side, sprinkle with hemp hearts, cacao nibs & drizzle with raw honey. Sandwich together & enjoy!
- Dried mulberries with hemp hearts - Mulberries are a rich source of antioxidants, they contain half the sugar of other dried fruit, are high in fibre, a great source of protein and they inhibit sugar digestion! Some may argue with me but this combination tastes just like caramel!
Healthful snacking between meals is a great way to manage weight, avoid temptation & maintain energy levels throughout the day!