Is it breakfast? Is it dessert? I have no idea but one thing's for sure - this recipe is damn goooood! When the ingredients are clean and nutritious, why not have dessert for breakfast 😜
Pin me 👆🏽 to save me for later!
In all seriousness though, this recipe is loaded with super healthy ingredients like coconut yogurt, organic apples, ghee, hemp hearts, ground flaxseeds, oats and raw cashews. It's also dairy, gluten, soy and refined sugar free!
I can't resist a good fruit crumble. As a kid, my mom would make apple crumble often and I loved it! It was warm, full of a variety of textures and there was something so comforting about it. That's mom food for you! This dish is a breakfast spin on my favourite childhood dessert.
I'm briefly moving on from all things pumpkin spice and venturing into all things apple and spice - 'tis the season, right? 🍂🍁
This parfait tastes like a deliciously tart, perfectly sweet apple crumble with warming spices that's served with creamy yogurt and topped with a buttery, crunchy oat and cashew crumble. I topped mine off with hemp hearts, ground flaxseeds and the most decadent (and healthy!) caramel sauce.
The recipe does have a few different components to it, but don't let that scare you off from making it. Each component is easy peasy!
Apple Crumble Yogurt Parfait
1 cup Unsweetened coconut yogurt, divided
1 apple, peeled & diced
1 Tbsp ghee
1 Tbsp 100% pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
2 Tbsp hemp hearts, divided
1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds, divided
1/4 cup oat crumble, divided
2 Tbsp caramel sauce, divided
* Where the recipe says "divided", split the amount between each parfait.
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup raw cashews, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp ghee, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Grab a cookie sheet and set it aside for now.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp ghee. Once melted, combine it with the oats and chopped cashews in a bowl until coated. Spread mixture evenly on the cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes until toasty and golden-brown. Set aside.
- While your crumble bakes, make your caramel sauce.
NOTE: It takes a little bit of time to get the mixture to thicken, so don't leave this to the end.
- Grab 2 glasses or bowls (whatever you'd like to serve your parfait in) and set them aside.
- Using the same sauté pan as in step #2, add remaining ghee over medium heat and sauté diced apples. Add maple syrup and cinnamon and sauté until apples have softened and maple syrup has become slightly thick and sticky - about 10 min. Set aside to cool a little.
- Once apples have cooled down, begin to layer the coconut yogurt and sautéed apples into each glass. Ensure each glass gets 1/2 cup of coconut yogurt. Top each serving with oat crumble, hemp hearts, ground flaxseeds and drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Enjoy immediately or cover with saran wrap and save for dessert!