Buddha Bowls are simply veggies, grain & avocado. What I love about these satisfying bowls is that you can use up any veggies scraps from your fridge before they go bad and make one killer meal!
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
I recommend Buddha Bowls to my meat-eating clients to show them that vegetarian dishes are not only tasty but they can be down right filling & satisfying too.
This is the recipe that I used last night with roasted chickpeas & cauliflower. I LOVE the layers the roasted veggies & bean give this dish.
Buddha Bowl For Two
(plus loads of leftovers for lunch the next day)
1 cup brown rice (you can easily use quinoa or millet here instead)
1/2 head of broccoli, cut into tiny florets
1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into tiny florets
2 carrots, julienned or grated
8 cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, diced
Finely chopped greens (kale, spinach, romaine, chard), about 1-2 cups worth
1 can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed well
1 avocado, diced
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup hemp seeds, raw sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
Feta or goat cheese (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- While your oven is preheating, get all of your veggies sliced & diced.
- In a mixing bowl combine your cauliflower florets & chickpeas with 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil, salt & pepper & roast in the oven until golden brown. (30-45 minutes depending on how brown you want your veg.)
- Cook your brown rice (this will take a little while).
- Sauté your onions & garlic in 1-2 tbsp olive oil over med-high heat until softened, remove from pan & set aside.
- In the same pan over medium heat, add your mushrooms & sauté until browned, remove from pan & set aside.
- Steam your broccoli & greens (don't over cook them!) You can steam your carrots as well (although I prefer them raw because they add some crunch.
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp each fresh ground pepper and tamari
- 1/4 tsp organic sugar
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder or tsp of Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- 2/3 cup olive oil
In a blender, puree all ingredients until all is combined.
Using separate bowls or one large glass bowl (so you can show off the pretty layers):
Begin with your rice on the bottom, add your roasted veggies & chickpeas on top of your grain, then layer your onions, garlic and mushrooms. Top with your steamed broccoli, greens & carrots. Now add your avocado, seeds & crumble feta or goat cheese if you're still enjoying dairy. Lastly, drizzle your dressing over top & enjoy:):)