I am OBSESSED with cashew cheese! This spread is completely vegan and it's no wonder the word 'cheese' is in the title because it tastes as close to the real stuff as you can get. Best part about cashew cheese is that it's high in protein, fibre and unlike it's dairy counterpart it doesn't create inflammation in the body.
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
What can you do with it?
The question should be what can't you do with it?!
- Use it as a dip for raw veggies or Mary's Crackers
- As a spread on your favourite sandwich or wrap
- As the base of a raw homemade pizza
- In place of cheese on turkey or veggie burgers
- And my most favourite way - warmed up in the oven (set oven to a low temp and bake for 10 minutes) which gives it a sort of roasty/toasty flavour.
- It makes a great appetizer with raw veggies and some heart healthy red vino!
This spread is completely vegan – no cheese is used at all.
1 cup of cashews, soaked for 2-4 hours preferably then drained & rinsed.
2 tbsp lemon juice – the real stuff!
1 clove of garlic, minced (optional: try roasted! It's a REALLY nice touch in this recipe)
1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast (depends on how cheesy you like it!)
1/2 tsp sea salt
black pepper to taste
1/4 cup water (depending on what you're creating, you may wish to add more if you prefer a thinner consistency)
Blend all of your ingredients in your Vitamix, blender or food processor until well combined & serve! Garnish with basil or parsley to give it some colour! Stores in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
If you want to try this dish served warm, set your oven to 300-350F and bake cashew cheese for about 10 minutes or so.