Clean eating should be the foundation of your day to day. Now, with that said it's equally important to indulge (from time to time) in the foods that you bring you joy & make your heart sing!
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
When I do indulge I try to ensure the recipe is as healthy as it can possibly be. For instance, I'll opt for organic ingredients, attempt to reduce the amount of dairy used and swap refined flours for whole grain varieties.
These Cheddar Chive Biscuits are to die for! They are one of my all time favourite comfort foods and perfect for this time of year. They are flakey, aromatic and make the perfect late breakfast meal.
I'm quite certain (with a little recipe development) that these biscuits could be made even healthier (and maybe one day I'll develop that recipe) BUT for today we're indulging!
- 2-1/4 cups (550ml) whole wheat (or spelt) flour
- 2 1/2 tsp (10ml) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10ml) organic sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2ml) sea salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) cold butter, cubed (organic)
- 1 cup (250ml) shredded extra old white cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup (250 ml) unsweetened almond milk with 1tbsp fresh lemon juice (vegan buttermilk)
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda & sea salt.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With a fork, stir in cheese & chives; stir in almond milk & lemon to form soft dough.
- On lightly floured surface, gently knead dough 10 times (as little as possible so that it's flakey).
- Pat into 3/4 inch (2cm) thick round.
- Using 2-1/2 inch (6cm) floured round cutter and pressing scraps together, cut out 12 rounds (don't twist - push & lift so they rise nicely).
- Bake on parchment paper - lined baking sheet in centre of 425F (220 C) oven for 12-14 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.