I don't know what it is about the combination of curry and noodles together but it screams comfort food to me! Veggie noodle dishes are one of my favourite things to whip up when I need a quick, easy and convenient meal.
This curry noodle dish is 100% nutritionist approved! For those of you with special dietary restrictions feel good knowing that this recipe is gluten, dairy & soy free.
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
Let's talk about the flavours though - oh the flavours...SO DARN GOOD! The spiciness from the curry is tamed by the creaminess of the coconut milk and the noodles soak up all of that delicious flavour.
Allow me to boast about the nutritional content of this meal for a moment: Adding broccoli to your meal plan multiple times a week is a fantastic idea because broccoli has been touted for its cholesterol lowering benefits. It's also a major detox veggie, fibre-rich and packs a serious punch in the Vitamin C department.
About Vitamin C: Because our bodies don't produce Vitamin C we need to consume it from our daily diet. It's needed for the production of collagen, used by our body for wound healing, maintaining the health of our mouth, protecting us from free radical damage and helping our body to absorb iron.
Did you also know that bell peppers are an incredible source of Vitamin C? Another main component in this recipe!
Most people don't realize that curry powder is actually a combination of spices. One of which is turmeric. It's turmeric that gives curry that beautiful golden colour. Now, turmeric's main constituent is curcumin which has a number of significant health benefits. It's rich in antioxidants and has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
Coconut Curried Noodles With Broccoli
4 cups cooked flat rice noodles*
1.5 Tbsp St. Francis Coconut Oil & Ghee Cooking Spray (or extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp red curry paste (I used Thai Kitchen brand)
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
3/4 cup organic stock (veggie or chicken is best in this recipe)
1/2 can full fat coconut milk
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 cups broccoli florets
1/2 tsp sea salt
fresh black pepper to taste
3 green onion, thinly sliced
* I buy the traditional vietnamese noodles from my natural health food store. If you're using regular rice noodle pasta then cook according to package directions.
- In a large bowl add boiling water to your uncooked rice noodles and allow the rice noodles to sit in this hot water bath for 20 minutes while you prep everything else.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm your oil and then add diced onions and allow them to sauté for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for another minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in curry paste, curry powder and turmeric and allow spices to cook out for a minute or two before adding in the broth. Simmer on low for 1-2 minutes and then add in the coconut milk. Continue to gently simmer for a few minutes.
- Taste curry sauce for seasoning and adjust as needed. At this point I added in my sea salt and fresh black pepper. You may find you don't need it at all, you may wish to use less than I used or a bit more.
- Add veggies to the pan and sauté on low until peppers and broccoli have softened slightly. Don't over cook your veggies or you'll destroy the nutrients.
- Drain your noodles and give them a quick rinse under cold water. Add them to the pan with the curry sauce and veggies. Allow them to warm through and soak up the flavours from the pan.
- Serve and top with sliced green onion.
Enjoy and happy long weekend lovelies XO
I wanna know, what's your favourite curry dish?