I am loving this drink!
What the heck is it?!
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
This lovely Detox Tonic makes a nice change of pace from warm lemon water in the morning (or anytime for that matter!).
It's simple: chia seeds in water with lemon and a touch of natural sweetener.
Why I'm drooling over this:
- From my previous post all about chia seeds we already know that they are high in omega 3s which are beneficial for reducing inflammation in our body
- It's said to boost energy levels (I know I feel pretty damn great after drinking it!)
- Perfect tonic for detoxification! Chia seeds, thanks to their mucilaginous properties help pull toxins from our system and lemon is well-known for its detoxifying magic. (mucilaginous, what?! In a nut shell the seeds when placed in water form a gel-like substance very similar to that of tomato seeds)
- Chia seeds are a rich source of antioxidants making this the perfect beautifying & anti-aging tonic (if that's your thing!)
- Super hydration. Because chia seeds have the ability to absorb 10 times their weight in water.
- Lastly, and completely optional - I like to use Santevia's alkaline water stick in mine! We always want to strive for an alkaline body because diseases and cancers proliferate in an acidic environment.
Deliciously Simple Detox Tonic
2 cups alkaline water (optional or pure, clean, filtered water)
1.5 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp lemon, freshly squeezed (can substitute lime)
1/2 tbsp 100% pure maple syrup (or any natural sweetener of your choice)
Add all ingredients into a glass and stir well to combine. Allow your tonic to rest for 10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to swell up. I like to enjoy mine in a glass mason jar (with lid) - that way I can shake it up as I need to! The chia seeds will settle to the bottom, so you will need to shake or stir as needed.
NOTE: If you're a texture junky - this drink may not be your thing! But I hope you give it a whirl anyway!