Lately, I have been very inspired by those around me who have been trying their hand at making homemade "edible" beauty products (imagine using products on your skin that are safe enough to eat!).
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
As a true girly girl I LOVE my beauty products BUT as a very passionate nutritionist who strives to practice what I teach I'm also conscious of what I'm putting on my skin. Because our skin is our largest organ, everything we put on our skin, our scalp, our nails etc., gets absorbed into our body - this includes both nutritive & toxic substances.
For the past couple of years I have made a more conscious choice to buy natural deodorants free of aluminum, shampoos & conditioners free of parabens and SLS, fluoride free toothpaste, natural air fresheners and much more. But I know there's still room for improvement.
Recently I have felt a strong internal push to research homemade skin care and avoid toxic chemicals & preservatives (which have been shown to cause allergies & increase our risk of cancer and other devastating diseases.)
If you are someone who already makes a conscientious effort to treat your body well by eating quality whole foods then it makes sense to take one more step, go deeper and review your cosmetics, toiletries & household cleaning products. It is the simplest way to rid yourself of nasty chemicals, toxins & do an EVERYDAY detox!
Through my experimentation over the past couple of weeks, here is part one of what I discovered:
After seeing this post by Dr. Foster http://drlaurafoster.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/homemade-natural-deodorant/ I was so excited by the simplicity of this homemade deodorant recipe that I ran out, bought the ingredients and made my way to the kitchen!
- 2tbsp Aluminum Free Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Arrowroot Powder
- 4 tbsp Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 10-20 drops of essential oil of choice (I like to use one of these combinations: doTERRA's melaleuca and grapefruit OR Lavender and Wild Orange OR Purify)
NOTE 1: you can purchase the oils here
NOTE 2: Baking soda can be an irritant for some people - start with 2tbsp and if you find you're reacting then decrease it to 1tbsp. On the flip side, if you're not reacting and you find you need it to be stronger, then you can increase the baking soda little by little.
- In a medium-large mixing bowl combine your baking soda and arrowroot powder.
- Add your 4 tbsp of raw, unrefined coconut oil to your dry ingredients. Use a fork to blend everything together. This will take some time! You may feel like it's not blending at first, but use a bit of muscle and be patient. Once you've blended the majority of it switch to a spoon partway through to help the blending process along. I promise the consistency will change to a paste which is what you want.
- Add 10-20 drops of essential oil (I used grapefruit). You can certainly do an unscented blend and leave out the essential oil.
- Once mixed, store in a glass jar (I used a small mason jar)
- To apply scoop out a small amount on your fingertips and place it in your armpit where the heat will emulsify the oil, making it easy to move around.
- This deodorant will keep for at least a year in a cool, dry place.
Review: I have been using this deodorant now for almost 2 weeks and I LOVE it!!! I have never had such success with a natural deodorant before. It's amazing! I've tried almost every brand of natural deodorant on the market and was never completely satisfied with them. This deodorant LASTS! It smells awesome, doesn't stain and I trust it to take me through the day (from work to even my workout, straight through the evening - it's reliable). If you're like me and have struggled finding a natural deodorant give this recipe a try - I promise you won't be disappointed.
Best part about this homemade formula is that it still allows you to sweat - this is SO important! We are meant to sweat! It's how the body eliminates toxins. But there will be zero stink factor!
Stay tuned for Part 2 of my Green Beauty Review when I discuss a recipe for shampoo & conditioner!