Ditch the commercial sports drinks or so-called vitamin waters. They are riddled with sugars, artificial sweeteners, colorings and other nasty preservatives. Instead I recommend making your own natural Vitamin Water (a.k.a. infused water) which is not only simple but also incredibly nutritious.
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
Depending on your level of activity I recommend that you hydrate during and after your work out with: water or homemade vitamin water and replenish your electrolytes with Emergen-C or coconut water. And remember that not all coconut waters are created equally! Look for products that contain only 100% pure and natural coconut water.
Homemade Vitamin Water
What you’ll need:
1. Any combination of fresh or frozen fruit.
My favorite combinations: grapefruit, lemon, lime and orange or strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
2. Any combination of vegetables.
I love adding sliced cucumbers and/or a hot pepper.
3. An herb (or two...)
Mint, rosemary, basil, cilantro, lavender, etc.
4. Spices (optional)
Ginger, cinnamon stick (ground cinnamon will float), black pepper.
Filtered water or sparkling water.
- First, add the fruit and vegetables in the glass, take a muddler (or simply use a wooden spoon or regular spoon) to gently mash and breakdown the fruit & vegetables.
Tip: peel the citrus fruits from their skin to avoid a bitter taste if you’re preparing it in advance.
2. Next, take the herb and/or spice and gently bruise the leaf by gently mashing, this helps release the natural extracts and oils.
3. Lastly, add either sparkling water or filtered water and drink!