One of my all time favourite snacks is roasted chickpeas. Really, really. In fact, once I start eating these crunchy, savoury, satisfying beans it's nearly impossible to stop! Lucky for me they are so darn healthy.
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
These roasted chickpeas are high in fibre (perfect to keep things moving along 😉) and protein which helps keep us fuller longer (also important for curbing cravings and reducing appetite between meals). Fibre and protein together will help maintain stable blood sugar levels which will help maintain our focus, concentration and boost energy stores!
All you mamas out there, these make a perfect school snack for the kiddies. As I mentioned above they will help keep your little ones fuller longer which means improved focus and concentration in the classroom as well as working towards maintaining even moods. When serving the kiddies, just remember to leave out the dash of cayenne.
I love these served as a snack or to top off a rice or quinoa dish. They add a really nice crunchy texture to Buddha bowls and salads.
We are using Lime essential oil in this recipe. Now, I know what you're thinking - essential oils internally?! YES! But this is very specific to doTERRA brand essential oils because their oils are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade. This company uses only natural and pure oils and because of that we can use many of them internally. Don't have the oil - don't sweat it! You can just as easily use fresh lime in this recipe.
You can purchase the lime essential oil here!
Lime & Tamari Roasted Chickpeas
1 can chickpeas (I prefer using Eden Organic - their cans are BPA-free)
1 tbsp olive oil
1.5 tbsp Tamari
1 tsp pure maple syrup
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
pinch of cayenne
2-3 drops doTERRA Lime essential oil
- Preheat your oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas well.
- Pat chickpeas dry. The dryer they are before roasting, the crunchier they will get. The skin of the beans may come off when you're patting them down, this is fine. I sometimes prefer to remove the skin before roasting, but it's not necessary and it's definitely time-consuming.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss chickpeas with olive oil, tamari, maple syrup, sea salt, pepper and cayenne. Make sure the chickpeas are well coated.
- Pour onto baking sheet and ensure chickpeas are well spread out.
- Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping once halfway through. If you prefer a softer texture, remove chickpeas around 25 minutes. If you're like me and prefer a crunchier texture, leave them in for 35-40 minutes - keeping a close eye on them so that they don't burn.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool. I like to sprinkle them with a pinch of sea salt while they are warm.
- Place chickpeas in a serving dish or bowl, start with 2 drops of doTERRA Lime essential oil and stir well to coat. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. You may wish to add more sea salt, cayenne or an additional drop of lime essential oil at this point.
- Enjoy! If you can resist eating them all in one sitting, you can store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
NOTE: It's important to add the lime essential oil once the chickpeas have cooled as the beneficial constituents of the oil can be destroyed by heat.
NOTE: If you choose to use fresh lime instead, add in 1 Tbsp at step number 4.