Mmmm - that's all I can say about this recipe. My mom made her chicken noodle soup for the whole family after a very long and exhausting weekend - it was exactly what everyone needed.
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
I knew that I wanted to recreate this dish in my own kitchen.
I adore my mom's cooking! I'm so lucky to have grown up in a household where my mom made home cooked meals for us every night. Although at the time I couldn't appreciate it - I was the kid always begging for take out! But today the nutritionist in me is so grateful.
Personally, my own love of cooking didn't kick in until MUCH later in life but I know I get my passion and creativity in the kitchen from my mom ❤️
If you're looking to clean up your diet and lifestyle, I highly suggest spending some quality time in your kitchen. The healthiest meals are the ones you make yourself with real, whole food ingredients. Oh! and love of course.
Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup - slightly adapted
2 tbsp olive oil
2 organic chicken breasts
2 large carrots, finely diced
2 large celery stalks, finely diced
1 onion, finely diced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
sachet of herbs/spices: 8 stems of parsley, 3 sprigs of thyme, 1 sprig of rosemary, 2 bay leaves and 8 peppercorns
8 cups filtered water
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup short whole grain pasta (we used kamut orzo)
2-3 giant handfuls of greens (we used spinach)
Sea salt and fresh pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Season chicken breasts well with sea salt and pepper. Sear breasts until browned on each side - approximately 4-5 min/side. Set them aside on a plate.
- Sauté garlic for about a minute until fragrant and add diced vegetables and sauté until softened and just beginning to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add water and sachet of herbs/spices and bring it up to a boil.
- Once it snaps to a boil reduce to a slow simmer, covered.
- Taste the broth to ensure it's seasoned adequately with sea salt and pepper.
- Add whole chicken breasts into pot.
- Cook for 2.5-3 hours.
- Remove chicken and set aside on a plate. Remove sachet of herbs/spices and discard.
- Cook pasta in a separate pot according to directions on package.
- While your pasta cooks, shred chicken with a fork.
- Return shredded chicken and cooked pasta back to large pot with your broth.
- Remove soup from heat and add your greens in allowing them to wilt in the heat of the soup.
- Serve soup hot and garnish with sliced green onion.