Tis the season for yummy, hearty, warming soups and this particular one just screams AUTUMN!
Just like its name suggests, this squash is rich and buttery and lends itself well to seasonal spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
Butternut squash provides us with some major health benefits such as antioxidant support. It also boasts ample dietary fibre which is ideal for heart health as well as stabilizing blood sugar levels.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Yields 6 cups
1 butternut squash, diced & roasted
3 garlic cloves, roasted
3-4 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 small yellow onions, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
6 cups filtered water
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
2 pinches each ground nutmeg and cinnamon
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Line a baking sheet or roasting pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine diced butternut squash with 1-2 tbsp olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Lay squash evenly out on sheet, leaving a bit of room in the corner of the pan for garlic.
- Place garlic cloves in a foil pouch and coat with a small glug of olive oil. Be sure to seal your pouch well. Place pouch on pan with squash. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until squash is fork tender and nicely browned.
- In the meantime, heat a large soup pot over medium heat with 2 tbsp olive oil. Sauté onions for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add carrots and celery and sauté a few minutes longer.
- Combine water, bay leaf, thyme, nutmeg and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or so.
- Once squash and garlic are done roasting, add them to the pot with the parsley.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender or Vita-mix.
- Taste carefully for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Mmmm, this soup is so good 😋 Enjoy!