It's that time of year again when our bodies crave warmer, heartier meals like soups & stews. Soups are not usually my meal of choice (just a personal preference) but I was completely chilled the other night and in the mood to test out a recipe in the kitchen. My first attempt at this recipe was a great success! I was literally blown away by how flavourful this dish turned out to be - not to toot my own horn or anything😜
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
It's all in the finishing touches and this soup is elevated by the following cooling ingredients: cubed avocado, sliced green onion and my delicious recipe for cashew sour cream that's drizzled on top.
Spicy Roasted Sweet Potato, Kale & Black Bean Soup
2 small sweet potatoes, diced (mine weren't organic so I peeled the skin off)
3-4 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
2 tbsp tamari (I used organic and low sodium)
950 mL organic stock (veggie or chicken works well here)
2-3 cups organic kale, chopped
1 can of black beans, rinsed well
2 green onions, sliced
1 avocado, cubed
Cashew Sour Cream
1/2 cup raw cashews, ideally soaked 2-4 hours
2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 tsp 100% pure maple syrup
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
pinch of sea salt
splash of water
- Preheat your oven to 425F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss diced sweet potato with 1-2 tbsp olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. Lay sweet potato onto parchment lined cookie sheet and roast in the oven for about 35 minutes.
- In a large soup pot over medium low heat sauté diced onions in remaining olive oil until translucent. Approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and celery and sauté until softened and just starting to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add spices to the pot and allow them to toast just for a minute or so then add Tamari.
- Add stock and turn the heat up to boil then lower to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, make your Cashew Sour Cream: combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Add roasted sweet potato to the soup pot.
- In small batches, puree the soup and return mixture back to soup pot.
- Add kale and black beans and allow kale to wilt. Approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Taste soup carefully for salt, pepper and chipotle chill powder - you may wish to add more if you prefer it extra spicy.
- Top individual bowls with avocado, green onion and drizzle with cashew sour cream.
I wanna know, what's your favourite way to eat sweet potatoes?