I have a confession to make...
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
I'm not kale's biggest fan. I know that's not the nutritionist-approved answer but it's true. Most nutritionists will tell you that kale is their favourite vegetable, not me. I want to be perfectly transparent with you.
Now, let's not get it twisted - there is no doubt that as a leafy green, kale is a powerhouse of nutrition. I love that and I make it a point to get plenty of it in my diet whether it be in smoothies, juices or salads.
But as far as leafy greens go - kale is not the tastiest to me. That's why I prefer to juice with it, toss it into a smoothie where I can hide it behind other bolder flavours or wilt it into soups. All of that said, me and kale chips on the other hand actually get along real well 😜
Why Kale? It has cholesterol-lowering properties (when steamed), risk lowering benefits for cancer and supports our body's detoxification system. Kale is abundant in vitamins A & K as well as the minerals manganese and copper.
Spicy Sautéed Kale
2 cups kale, washed, fibrous stem cut out & torn into large pieces
1 tbsp coconut oil (olive oil would work too)
1 tsp red chilli flakes
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
Optional add-ins: Nutritional yeast, raw nuts or seeds such as slivered almonds or hemp seeds
- Once you have cut out the woody stem of the kale and ripped it into large pieces, steam it just until it turns bright green. Set aside.
- Get a saute pan warming up on medium low and add 1 tbsp coconut oil to it.
- Add to that chilli flakes and allow the oils to come out. About a minute.
- Toss in thinly sliced shallots and allow them to sauté for a few minutes then add your garlic.
- When your garlic is fragrant it's time to add the steamed kale to your sauté pan. Give everything a good stir so that the kale is well coated - 3-5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and serve.
How I like to serve it up: side dish to some fresh wild salmon (or any protein for that matter) or mixed into a grain like quinoa with some veggies.
If you're anything like me when it comes to the taste of kale, I really hope you give it one more chance in this spicy side dish. Try it out!