Last's night's dinner was in a league all its own! I typically find that soba noodle dishes lack in flavour, so I generally don't gravitate towards them. But I decided to give them one last try and I'm so glad I did!
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
This dish is exploding with bold flavours! We couldn't get enough!
There's heat coming from the red chill flakes, bitter notes from the shredded cabbage, cooling ingredients such as the chopped cilantro and sweetness from the coconut sugar - all in one satisfying and healthy meal!
Enjoy this dish warm or cold - it's equally yummy!
Spicy Thai-Inspired Noodle Salad
Serves: 4 main dishes or 2 main dishes with leftovers :):)
1 package of organic tempeh, cubed
5 tbsp tamari, divided
6 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (about 3-4 limes)
3 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tbsp nut/seed butter (I used homemade sun butter)
1 tbsp water
2 cups shredded green cabbage
2 cups shredded carrots
1 stalk celery, diced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
2 green onions, sliced on a bias
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 package of soba noodles
1 tbsp coconut oil
3/4 tsp red chill flakes
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Steam tempeh for 10 minutes and then set aside.
- Prepare the dressing. I added ingredients to my blender but you could whisk in a small bowl. Either way, add 4 tbsp tamari, 6 tbsp lime juice, 3 tbsp coconut sugar, 2 tbsp nut/seed butter and 1 tbsp water and blitz or whisk until fully combined. Set aside.
- Prep veggies: shred cabbage and carrots (I used my food processor for convenience sake), dice celery, slice red pepper, cut green onions and chop cilantro. Set cabbage, carrots, celery and pepper aside in a large bowl that you'll later use to combine everything. Set green onions and chopped cilantro aside separately - these will top the main dish.
- Slice shallots and chop garlic. Set aside.
- Prepare a large pot of boiling water for soba noodles. Cook soba noodles according to package.
- Once tempeh is steamed & soba noodles are on, heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté for 5 minutes until softened. Add in garlic and cook until just fragrant. Add to the pan the tempeh, 1 tbsp tamari and red chill flakes. Allow the tempeh to brown until soba noodles are cooked (about 6 minutes or so). Stir constantly and don't worry if the tempeh starts to crumble - this is good! Those little bits will get nice and golden and add tons of flavour to the dish!
- Combine everything together in your large bowl with the vegetables and toss with the dressing. Season with sea salt and pepper according to taste. Top with chopped cilantro and sliced green onions.
- Serve warm or cold.