My parents are growing organic strawberries in their backyard and this weekend they had an abundance of them just waiting to be used up. I decided to whip up a few batches of jam for the entire family!
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
I rarely ever buy jam and when I do I'm very selective about it. Most jams contain refined sugar which is important to avoid because sugar is the ultimate immune suppressor. Especially around this time of year if you suffer from season allergies (like I do) it's particularly important to be cautious of your sugar intake.
What I love about this jam (aside from the fact that it's from scratch) is that it's loaded with chia seeds which are fibre rich, anti-inflammatory, a great source of protein and healthy fats. The fibre from the chia seeds will help regulate how quickly you absorb the sugars from the fruit and ultimately prevent a spike in your blood sugar levels. Why is this crucial? Because stabilized blood sugar levels mean endless energy, curbed cravings, weight management, improved sleep and concentration.
Did you know that strawberries are a rich source of Vitamin C? Thanks to this powerful antioxidant strawberries are ideal for cardiovascular support, have anticancer benefits and are anti-inflammatory.
Strawberry Chia Seed Jam
- 5 cups strawberries, tops removed
- Scant 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine strawberries, maple syrup and vanilla in a blender or food processor for 60 seconds or until smooth.
- Stir in chia seeds by hand.
- Set mixture aside for 10-15 min to allow jam to thicken. Give it one more thorough stir and then store in a sealed mason jar in the refrigerator.
- Spread on sprouted grain toast, organic waffles or stir into your morning oatmeal.
What a great way to use over-ripened strawberries or strawberries that are on their way out.
Don't you love it when nothing goes to waste?! - Valerie XO