This is a healthy, plant-based spin on an old favourite - the BLT sandwich (bacon, lettuce & tomato).
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
I love using tempeh as a source of plant-based protein. Tempeh is a fermented soy product that’s a complete source of protein, has probiotic value, and when purchased organic is free of GMOs (YAY! No Frankenfood!). If you're unfamiliar with this ingredient, read more about it here.
When I'm craving something comforting this is definitely one of my favourite dishes.
T-BLT Sammy (Tempeh Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich)
This recipe is vegan and gluten-free (when using gluten-free bread)
1 8oz package tempeh, sliced into 24 thin slices
1/4 cup tamari
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chipotle chilli powder
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Lay tempeh slices in a 13x9 baking dish.
- Bring tamari, vinegar, maple syrup, cumin, chipotle chilli powder, 1 tbsp olive oil, and paprika to boil in a saucepan. Boil 1 minute only and then remove from heat. Keep your eye on the mixture – it will boil over very quickly.
- Pour over tempeh slices. Let cool, cover and chill for 15 minutes to 2 hours depending on your timing.
- Over medium-high heat using 2 tbsp olive oil, pan fry tempeh on both sides until browned. You may need a bit more olive oil as you go.
- Assemble T-BLT Sammy:
- 2 pieces sprouted grain bread, toasted.
- 1-2 romaine leaves, washed and torn.
- 2 thin slices of organic tomato.
- vegan mayo or you can substitute with mashed avocado.
- 3-4 slices tempeh bacon per sandwich. Enjoy.