This recipe is easily one of my favourite Fall/Winter dishes because it's warm, satisfying and incredibly nutritious. This recipe is meat free and loaded with hearty beans, vegetables and aromatic spices.
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
Three Bean Chili
3tbsp - olive oil
1- yellow onion, fine dice
1- carrot, fine dice
1- stalk of celery, fine dice
1- bell pepper, fine dice
3- cloves of garlic, minced
1- pack of organic chili seasoning
1L- of organic crushed tomatos (canned is ok)
1/4cup - of organic tomato paste
1 cup- organic kidney beans
1 cup- organic black beans
1 cup- organic navy or garbanzo beans
S&P to taste.
1. Heat a 6-8qt pot on the stove over medium heat
2. Add oil and saute onion, carrot, celery and bell peper for 5 minutes (until soft)
3. Add garlic and seasoning and cook for another 5 minutes (dont worry if the seasoning sticks, the tomato will lift it off the bottomof the pan)
4. Add the crushed tomato and tomato paste and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes
5. Add all the beans and simmer for 10 more minutes (or until ready to serve)
6. Season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
7. Top with cooling ingredients Avocado, green onions, shredded cheese (optional)
makes 4 servings
Beans are an amazing source of protein, fibre and iron which are important aspects of the digestive tract, blood sugar regulation and the circulatory/cardiovascular system (beans contribute to heart health). Because red meat is high in saturated fat it can put huge strain on our digestive system and it takes a significant amount of time to metabolize. Red meat is also considered to be an inflammatory food. Beans are a great meat alternative because of their protein and fibre content - they are metabolized at a moderate rate and don't contribute to inflammation in the body. This leaves us feeling satisfied and gives us a boost of energy without the heavy, fatigued feeling that meat can leave us with.
Onions and garlic have natural antibacterial properties and play a role in our body's immunity, they are also cancer protective, anti-inflammatory (a lot of research with arthritis and allergies) and play a key role in our circulatory/cardiovascular system.
You're getting a major hit of antioxidants in this chilli with the carrots, bell peppers and crushed tomatoes which contributes to immunity, glowing skin, healthy hair and bright eyes. Not to mention antioxidants are protective against heart disease and cancer.
Not a fan of avocado? Here's a few reasons to give it another try: First of all, it's seriously yummy! It's creamy and cooling! Still not convinced? It's considered a healthy fat which promotes heart health, it's rich in antioxidants, fibre, it's anti-inflammatory and helps regulate blood sugar levels.