As promised, I'm continuing to write about what you want to know!
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
Although this topic isn't new to the blog (you can find how to clear your skin naturally here) there's always much more to be said! Who doesn't want clear skin? Our face is the first thing people notice about us and it's understandable why skin health is a major stressor for most people. But before you go seeking out meds to treat your acne (which by the way have awful side effects) please keep reading!
Today, I'm keeping it simple and giving you my top tips for clear, beautiful & glowing skin.
- Evaluate your diet. Keep a food journal for 7-10 days, what do you notice? Are you constantly eating the same thing almost everyday? If yes, did you know that this can lead to food sensitivities? We are meant to be eating a varied diet of real, whole foods to obtain optimum nutrition. Often, food allergies can masquerade as pimples. This is an immune reaction to those sensitivities. Recommendation: Eliminate the things you're commonly eating and note any positive changes in your skin health. Also consider getting your food sensitivities tested to pinpoint the culprit(s).
- Are you eating real, whole foods that are fresh and full of life and nutrition? Or are you constantly consuming frozen, packaged and convenience foods? This can have a huge impact on your skin. Our skin requires vitamins, minerals and enzymes from a nourishing diet. Try swapping out canned and frozen fruit/veg for fresh produce and see what you notice.
- Ditch the cow's milk and switch to almond or rice milk. This will eliminate any excess hormones as hormonal imbalance is also a cause of acne.
- Other inflammatory foods to avoid: dairy, refined and processed foods such as white flour and sugar, alcohol, caffeine, food additives and preservatives, fried foods, junk foods, fast foods…I think you're getting it:) Gluten can also be a factor in skin health. If you've tried everything except eliminating gluten from the diet then I highly encourage you to give it a try.
- Stimulate liver function with these simple everyday detox methods: lemon water everyday on an empty stomach, 1-2 tsp liquid chlorophyll in water and/or my Simple Detox Tonic.
- Focus on hormone balancing foods (all foods which are fibre rich) such as chia seeds, cruciferous vegetables and dark leafy greens.
- Refined Sugar. In case you didn't quite get me the first time! That includes hidden sources of sugar in things like ketchup, salad dressings and pasta sauces. Sugar is an immune suppressor. It also spikes blood sugar levels which causes acne. Um, no thanks!
- Include more: antioxidant-rich foods such as berries, sweet potatoes, carrots, bell peppers - the more colour, the better! Healthy fats such as avocado, flax and hemp seed oil, coconut oil is amazing for skin health (something as simple as removing your make-up with coconut oil can have significant effects), salmon, raw nuts and seeds and ground flax seeds.
- Water! Hydration is so important for clear and glowing skin. 2-3 L each and everyday. This includes water rich fruit and vegetables such as watermelon and cucumbers.
- Consume more magnesium rich foods which help to balance hormones such as brown rice, figs and oatmeal. Vitamin E is a factor in skin health, consume more nuts, leafy greens and eggs.
Clear skin is more than what we put into our body, it's what we're putting onto it as well. Consider your skin care products and ensure they're free of harmful chemicals which are often hormone disrupting and carcinogenic. Some of my favourite clean beauty products include:
Living Libations (I prevent breakouts by using their Best Skin Ever - Sea Buckthorn morning and night with their organic hemp face cloths)
How I treat blemishes….
Let's face it, we all get pimples from time to time and when I do, this is my go-to: Tea Tree Oil (1-2 drops on a Q-tip directly on the blemish) and/or Vitamin E oil.
Please also consider stress levels and quality of sleep when you're thinking about the health of your skin. Implement stress management techniques such as meditation, yoga, exercise, etc. to restore hormone balance and do your best to get 7-8 hours of sleep each and every night.
Start today with a ready made meal plan designed to combat acne!
Eat your way to beautifully clear and radiant skin!
Eating healthy doesn't have to be complicated and it certainly doesn't have to be boring. Enjoy over 15 recipes that are simple, tasty & made with real, whole foods.