One of the main reasons clients come to see me is because they want to increase their energy levels.
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
Now, there are a variety of reasons someone may be feeling fatigued or experience low energy levels on a daily basis. It's always best to work with a health care professional one-on-one to determine the root of the problem and find strategies tailored to the individual to solve the issue. It could be thyroid related, an iron or B12 deficiency or could be a side effect of pharmaceutical drugs. Barring any of those issues (for which you would want to work with a health care professional) these top 10 strategies I'm giving you today can certainly help boost energy levels naturally!
Things that can deplete your energy stores:
- lack of sleep
- poor diet
- personal relationships
- too much time in front of your computer
- lack of exercise
- too many obligations (saying yes when you really want to say no)
10 Strategies For Increased Energy:
- Ditch the white stuff. It has no nutritional value and merely spikes your blood sugar levels making you irritable, foggy-brained and crave more unhealthy foods. Make small changes to your diet over time. One small change each week can make for dramatic shifts! Start to incorporate complex carbohydrates such as spelt, kamut, quinoa, amaranth, millet and brown rice. The fibre and B vitamins will help keep you energized until your next meal!
- Liquid chlorophyll is amazing for ridding the body of toxins, cleansing the blood and elevating energy stores naturally. 1 tsp in water daily.
- Raw veggies are enzyme rich and loaded with nutrients (lightly steamed or roasted is also fine - just get more veggies in!)
- Drink your vitamins & minerals! Fresh raw juices and smoothies are ideal for an instant energy boost. Be sure to load them up with dark leafy greens such as kale, spinach, collards, dandelion and beet greens.
- Healthy fats such as coconut oil contain medium chained triglycerides which get directly shuttled to the liver and used as fuel rather than stored as fat. Try adding a tablespoon to your smoothie or use in place of your cooking oil.
- Elimination! Yep, I'm talking poop. It is crucial that you eliminate each and everyday. What you need for proper evacuation: 1. hydration. In order to achieve 2-3 bowel movements per day the bowel requires peristaltic action which is the wavelike movement of the colon. To stimulate peristalsis the colon requires hydration. 2. bulk in the form of fibre. So eating your fruits and veggies is important! Try adding in ground flaxseed to your diet if you struggle with elimination. 3. lubrication in the form of healthy fats. Flaxseed, borage, fish oils are all effective in providing necessary lubrication for smooth and gentle evacuation.
- Water! 2-3L each day is so vital for hydration and keeping the body functioning optimally. Wake up and start the day off with a cup of warm water & 1/2 a lemon freshly squeezed!
- Exercise - moving your body daily will boost serotonin which is the feel good hormone thereby improving your energy. And truthfully, don't we all just feel so much better when we do it!?
- Sleep. Aim for a solid 7-8 hours per night which is key for health, well-being & rejuvenation. Learn to shut off your brain, put down the iPhone, step away from the computer or TV and rest! Aim to be in your bed by a certain time. Find a bedtime routine that works for YOU and stick to it. Whether that be a warm bath with lavender essential oils, restorative yoga or reading before bed. Your body will adapt to the new routine and learn to wind down.
- Break up with sugar! Sugar is the number one culprit for depleting energy stores. Sure, you may feel awesome for a couple of hours while you're on your sugar high - until you're not anymore! Refined sugars create blood sugar level imbalances. Your body will look to replicate that high and signal the body to crave more refined foods. Get off the roller coaster, ditch the sugar and try natural sweeteners such as raw honey or coconut sugar.
Make yourself a priority, know that it's ok to say no to obligations, do a friend detox and let go of anyone no longer serving you (let's face it, some people are energy suckers), decrease your time on social media, spend more time outside, sip on some tea, write in a journal, watch a feel good movie, go to a yoga class, your emails will still be there waiting for you tomorrow & eat good food to feel good. One small change each week can result in some big shifts.