I love to experiment in the kitchen and create new dishes! I had seen a recipe for a taco salad and wanted to use that as inspiration to create my own healthier & vegetarian version. So here it is!
Pin me 👆🏽to save me for later!
This meal is truly impressive! It is satisfying enough to serve as a main meal, it's full of different textures, flavours and looks gourmet. I recommend serving this the next time you have guests over!
- Romaine lettuce - I use an entire head
- Tomatoes - at least 2-3
- Cilantro to taste
- Onion (optional)
- 2 Avocados (1 for slicing and the other for the dressing)
- Sprouts (optional)
- Raw Walnuts (about a cup)
- Organic Sour Cream or make it dairy free by choosing YOSO's Unsweetened Coconut Yogurt
- 2 Limes
- Brown Rice Flat Bread (optional for serving)
- Your Base: Wash and roughly chop romaine lettuce.
- Make a tomato cilantro salsa: dice up your tomatoes and add in finely chopped cilantro (give this an extra boost by dicing up some onion and brightening it up with a hit of lime juice)
- Nut "Meat": Place your raw walnuts in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add in little by little organic sour cream or YOSO's coconut yogurt and pulse until it starts to take on the consistency of ground meat. Add in the following spices to your taste: Cumin, cayenne, chilli powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, coriander and paprika.
- Slice one avocado
- Avocado Lime Dressing: Combine the following in a bullet: 1 avocado, the juice of 1 lime, salt, pepper, hot sauce and water (to get desired consistency). Blend until well combined.
- In separate bowls place your romaine lettuce down first. Then arrange in separate quadrants around the bowl your tomato/cilantro salsa, your nut meat, sliced avocado, sprouts, drizzle with your avocado/lime dressing and serve with baked brown rice flat bread (cut into triangles). The flatbread makes for a nice crunchy texture in this salad.
This salad is loaded with fibre, protein and is very alkalizing! The nut meat in this dish serves as a major protein and omega 3 boost! The sprouted lentils provide protein, iron and potassium. The avocados in this meal not only offer fibre but have anti inflammatory properties.